Tuesday, November 21, 2017

When did Jesus Become High Priest?


I read something that said Jesus became High Priest when he was baptized.  It kinda made sense, but I didn't feel right about it. It was like the Holy Spirit reminding me not to just accept what someone says. If Jesus became High Priest when John the Baptist baptized him, why is it that Ananius called the High Priest in the Gospels? I would think it would say something like he acted as the High Priest.  Also for Jesus to be the perfect sacrificial lamb for our sins the High Priest must offer him up, which Ananius did.

I couldn't take what someone said as the truth, so I had to research it for myself.  I found what I believe to be the answer in Psalm 110: 1-4. There are a couple of interesting things mentioned here.

In verse 4 Yahway God is speaking to Jesus saying, "The LORD has sworn and will not relent, 'You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.'"  This verse has God the Father pronouncing Jesus, who has just been resurrected, to be High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, who had no previous priest before him.  This is where I believe Jesus became High Priest for us all in the New Covenant.

In verse 1 it says, "The LORD (Yahway God) said to my Lord (Jesus Christ), "Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool."  I find it interesting that the priests were commanded to always stand when performing the office of the priesthood, but the Father tells the son to sit.  That is because the sacrifices of the old covenant were never enough and had to be performed time after time.  The sacrifice of Jesus for our sins was a one-time event which covered all sins past, present and future.  It would never have to be done again so Jesus could sit down.  His work was done.

What I learned the most from this is that I can never trust the experts, the teachers, the preachers or anyone else.  I must always check the word of God and listen to what God has to say.

Photo Credit: Model of Aaron in High Priest garments by FotoGuy 49057

No comments: