Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Philippians 4:13


"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

I want to run and win a marathon.  I am 66 years old.  I have sciatica so standing or walking can be painful.  I know that marathons are run by healthy young people, but if I claim Philippians 4:13 I can win that marathon.  Yeah!  Right!

I could practice my heart out and have complete faith in that verse, but I would still not win any marathons.  Why is that?  Why is it we can not claim this verse and do great things in our lives?  A Christian could claim this verse to become President.  A person could claim this verse to win a game.  Someone could have complete faith in this verse and become the greatest person ever in his or her own field.  So why doesn't it work?  Doesn't God keep His promises?

"I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound.  Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:12-13

Paul is not saying we can do all things.  He is talking about accomplishing his mission in all circumstances.  As an Apostle, Paul was spreading the gospel whether he was hungry or not; whether he had much or in need.  No matter the circumstances he was content because he knew that He could do anything when Christ was in it and fulfilled his needs.

This is not a genie verse.  Say Philippians 4:13 three times and POOF you can do anything.  But it is a promise that when God gives you a mission, no matter how difficult it is or how inept you might feel yourself to be, He will provide all your needs to accomplish that task. 

God will never call you to a ministry and then leave you alone to accomplish it.  He will strengthen you with all you need to follow His will.

Photo by Mārtiņš Zemlickis on Unsplash

No comments: